Is 3D dose from individual fields accessible?

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:01 PM
Hey all,

I'm fairly new to the scripting API so please bear with me. I'm glad I found this community--I think the potential for scripting in Eclipse is huge in streamlining and improving treatment planning and other important pursuits related to medical physics validation & research.

My goal:
I have 2 sets of electron beam data (different machines) and a SINGLE plan with electron fields for BOTH machines with various applicators (i.e. 6x6, 10x10, 15x15, 20x20, 25x25 for both machines). I would like to write a script that pulls the 3D dose from each field, and then performs a comparison between them to help demonstrate dosimetric equivalence (or the lack thereof).

My main question is this: is it possible to access 3D dose data for each individual field through the Eclipse scripting API and not just for the entire plan?

I can't seem to find in-depth and clear API documentation (like you'd see for the Microsoft MSDN, for example the Socket class specification: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.net.sockets.socket%28v=vs.110%29.aspx ), so forgive me if this is clearly documented somewhere (and please kindly point me to such existing API documentation for future use). It would seem to me that it SHOULD be possible based on the fact that Eclipse has a dose profile tool that does allow you to see the dose contribution from each field separately... but I'm not sure if that functionality is exposed in the API.

I'm sure that I could accomplish this by separating the fields into separate plans but that is pretty tedious and I was hoping the scripting API could make that unnecessary.

Thanks!
Dec 19, 2014 at 5:10 PM
Ah, I presume this answers my question:
https://variandeveloper.codeplex.com/discussions/570069

Tis a bummer, but that's just the way it goes sometimes.

Even so, is there a really good set of API documents somewhere that specifies the properties and methods of all the classes in detail (like the MSDN one I pointed to in the question?)
Coordinator
Dec 19, 2014 at 6:15 PM
Edited Dec 19, 2014 at 6:15 PM
There are preview releases of the future API that have functionality like you are mentioning, with the addition of being able to programmatically set field parameters and calculate without actually going into Eclipse. Keep your ideas around and I bet it will be available to you in the not too distant future.
Coordinator
Dec 22, 2014 at 1:48 PM
Indeed the field-specific dose will be available in the 13.6 release of the scripting API.

The API classes are documented in online help, which should be available on the Eclipse workstation's start menu (Varian/Eclipse Scripting API/Eclipse Scripting API Help) or at C:\VMSOS\Docu\Scripting.
Jun 6 at 4:21 PM
Edited Jun 6 at 9:05 PM
I am struggling with a similar situation if not the same but using 13.7 release. For a given multiple field plan, I would like to extract the Maximum dose delivered by each field individually. I think I can get that with DoseMax3D of the field, but that dose is always reported in % vs. absolute. I'm able to get dose in absolute units for the plan using DoseValuePresentation, but the dose for the filed is still reported in %.

Is there a way to force the single field dose to be reported in absolute units?

Thanks for any assistance.