Obtaining Dose Deposition Coefficient by Scripting?

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:08 PM
I want to construct an IMRT optimization problem for a specific patient outside Eclipse. To construct it, I need DDCs calculated from the underlying simplified dose algorithm (e.g. PBC,DVO, etc.) . What would be the best way of calculating those using ESAPI/EAAPI V11?
Coordinator
Mar 18, 2014 at 2:30 PM
Varian is working on solutions to enable this scenario for research use in future Eclipse releases. Currently only a complex work around using DICOM data would be possible:
  1. Create a DICOM plan with beamlets (1 cm x 1 cm) separated to multiple beams (jaws fixed, MLC opening small). Use Matlab or Pydicom to generate the DICOM plan.
  2. Import & calculate in Eclipse
  3. Export plan to DICOM with Field doses
  4. Read the field doses and generate the DDCs
Mar 21, 2014 at 12:33 AM
Thank you for the help. I opened a DICOM plan generated in Eclipse by MATLAB to learn its structure. The loaded DICOM structure has lots of fields. I don't know which field contains beamlets information. Do you have any DICOM plan with the mentioned specification ready? Also, do you have any suggestion for a DICOM plan novice to start with?

Thanks
Coordinator
Mar 21, 2014 at 10:38 PM
DICOM can be difficult. My suggestion is to find a DICOM viewer first so you can load DICOM files and start understanding the content. Then move on to using the DICOM standard to understand what each tag is in the file.

There are many free and open source viewers out there. One open source tool that is useful for viewing DICOM files is DICOMClient (java, PixelMed). This tool was originally developed as an anonymizer, but also does a good job of viewing of tags in DICOM files, with display of image files.

DICOM is not only a data organization standard, it also includes networking operations, which can be used to query systems and move data around. See my Scripting with DICOM article to gain a bit of understanding about the DICOM networking operations.