Serialization

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:36 PM
Has anyone used serialization successfully with the API? I am able to serialize API objects (such as Patient and Course) to XML using their WriteXML methods. However, I am not able to instantiate new objects and populate them using the ReadXML method -- should this be possible?

What I would like to accomplish is to be able to write a C# application that I can use completely outside of the context of the API, create API objects using the Varian libraries, and populate those objects from serialized XML backups of objects from our production system. The reason I want to do this is so that I can test and debug an API application while developing it entirely on my desktop -- I don't want to have to login to Eclipse and run the script every time I want to test/debug, as it is very tedious and slows down development quite a bit to do so.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete
Coordinator
Apr 16, 2014 at 8:54 PM
Hi Pete,

The ReadXML methods are not implemented / supported.

The way the APIs are designed also suggest that what you propose would be possible, but in reality the entire Eclipse runtime is needed to use the APIs.

For rapid development, I often start with a single file plugin and only move to the binary plugin after I have the the script fleshed out and ready for use by others. Of course this will not work if you are developing a plugin that has a UI. For rapid binary plugin development you might consider using the plugin tester that Eduardo created.

Best Regards,
Wayne
Apr 16, 2014 at 10:08 PM
Thanks -- appreciate your quick reply!

Pete